Whether it is level design, gameplay design, system design, scripting, narrative design, quality assurance or game production management that you are most interested in doing for games, this program will get you into the industry with credibility through hands-on development experience in game design.
- Start working right after the education
- Located in Stockholm, SoFo
- Government funded with financial support from CSN
- 2 years (4 terms)
- 30 weeks of internship
REQUIREMENTS TO APPLY
- Grades or proof of post graduate qualifications from upper secondary school/high school or equivalent
- CV and a personal letter (letting us know why you have chosen the specific program)
- English 6 from upper secondary school/high school or proof of equivalent knowledge
- Work Sample in English (see more information below)
WORK SAMPLE GAME DESIGNER
Your work sample should aim at showing your potential on a broader scale as a junior game developer. Show off your strongest skills creating a small game and explaining the process behind it.
- Showcase a small game you have created, and include all the assets and designs images, gifs, playthrough videos, flowcharts, in-editor captures, etc.) that you think are relevant for the game production.
- Explanatory text about your piece including the process of creating it.
- Maximum ten pages long.
- Save in PDF format.
- Submitted in English.
- Name the file firstname_surname.pdf
Futuregames will measure your work sample in the 3 following areas:
- Visualization ability – measures the artistic ability to express yourself through illustration and text
- Technical ability – measures how well you utilize the machine as tool
- Industry relevance – measures the relevance of the presented content to the game industry and game development
LEARNING BY DOING, LEARNING BY REFLECTION
Develop core competences in game development by having industry experts from leading game companies teaching you the tricks of the trade. Get access to our creative environment, including computers and relevant development software. You will be growing and building your skills together with 240 highly talented classmates and senior game developers. Take part in intense game projects together with parallel Futuregames programs (Game Programmer and 3D Artist ) simulating professional game projects in order to reflect what you will be doing in the game industry and prepare you for an ever-developing and creative career.
We want to create pragmatic developers with a balanced and wide perspective of the entire development process, strong teamwork skills with a practical and proactive approach.
CLOSE INDUSTRY CONNECTION
This education is implemented in direct cooperation with the games industry and Futuregames’ including: King, Avalanche Studios, Ubisoft, EA DICE, Fatshark Games, Paradox Interactive, Starbreeze Studios, Glorious Games Group, Uprise, NEAT Corporation, Epic Games and Really Interactive. Many more support this higher vocational program and around 20-30 game studios are involved in Futuregames every year.
- Game Design
- Level Design
- System Design
- Gameplay Design
- Narrative Design
- Quality Assurance
- Game Project Management
KNOWLEDGE AFTER COMPLETING THE EDUCATION
- Designing and analyzing game experiences
- Designing and building levels
- Designing and crafting game systems
- Thorough understanding of Unity and the latest Unreal Engine.
- Strong gameplay scripting skills (C# and visual scripting)
- Adopting a playcentric approach and understanding of target audience
- Strong team and communication skills
- Designing games for multiple platforms (PC, mobile, VR, ect)
- Designing in a data driven way
- Understanding the entire development and distribution process of games
|Introduction to Game Design and Visual Programming (Unreal Engine)||25||5|
|Game project 1||10||2|
|Quality Assurance (QA) in Game Production||10||2|
|Level Design and World Creation||25||5|
|Prototyping in Unreal Engine (UE4)||10||2|
|Game Project 2||20||4|
|Market Analysis, CV and Portfolio||15||3|
|User Experience and Interaction Design||10||2|
|C# Scripting Language (Unity)||15||3|
|Prototyping in Unity||10||2|
|Project Methodology in Game Development||5||1|
|Game Project 3||35||7|
|Advanced Game Design||30||6|
|Internship in Game Development||150||30|