Whether it is concept art, effects, UI design or animation that you are most interested in doing for games, this program will get you into the industry with credibility through hands-on development experience in 2D graphics.
- Start working right after the education
- Located in Stockholm, SoFo
- Government funded with financial support from CSN
- 2 years (4 terms)
- 30 weeks of internship
Requirements to apply
- Grades or proof of post graduate qualifications from upper secondary school/high school or equivalent
- CV and a personal letter (letting us know why you have chosen the specific program)
- English 6 from upper secondary school/high school or proof of equivalent knowledge
- Work Sample (see more information below)
Work Sample 2D Artist
Your work sample should aim at explaining the process in which you work and show your skills and strengths. We strongly encourage that the graphics you create can help other developers in the a game production.
- A minimum of one piece showcasing your skill in one of the following formats; images, gifs or videos
- Explanatory text about your piece including the process of creating it.
- Maximum five pages long.
- Save in PDF format.
- Name the file firstname_surname.pdf
Learning by doing, learning by reflection
Develop core competence in game development by having teachers from leading game companies teaching you the tricks of the trade. Get access to our creative environment, including computers and relevant development software. You will be growing and building your skills together with 240 highly talented classmates and senior game developers. Take part in intense game projects together with parallel Futuregames programs (Game Programmer, Game Designer and 3D Artist) simulating professional game projects in order to reflect what you will be doing in the games industry and prepare you for an ever-developing and creative career.
We want to create a pragmatic 2D developers with a balanced and wide perspective of the entire development process and strong teamwork skills with a practical and proactive approach. The program will therefore focus more on create a general knowledge and skill set rather then specialized.
Close industry connection
This education is implemented in direct cooperation with the games industry and Futuregames’ Board of Education including: King, Avalanche Studios, EA DICE, Fatshark Games, Paradox Interactive, Starbreeze Studios, Glorious Games Group, NEAT Corporation and Really Interactive. Many more support this higher vocational program and around 20-30 game studios are involved in Futuregames every year.
- 2D graphics
- 2D animation
- 2D art
- Concept art
- UI design (User Interface)
- UX design (User Experience)
Knowledge after completing the education
- Produce high quality 2D graphics for game engines like Unreal Engine 4 and Unity
- Texturing (applying 2D graphics on 3D models)
- Create animations with 2D graphics
- Create effects for game engines
- Work in professional 2D and 3D graphics tools
- Produce graphical interfaces for games with focus on usability
- Produce concept graphics and storyboards
- Adapt to different styles, concepts and targets
- Work independently and in teams with planning, development and production of games
Curriculum – Course outline
|Course name||YH points||Number of weeks|
|2D graphics for gamedevelopment||10||2|
|Game project 1||10||2|
|UX and concept development||40||8|
|3D for 2D artist||20||4|
|Lighting and rendering||10||2|
|Texturing and materials||10||2|
|Intro to Unreal Engine||10||2|
|Game project 2||20||4|
|Intro to Unity||10||2|
|2D asset creation||30||6|
|Project methodology in game development||5||1|
|Game project 3||35||7|
|Market analysis, CV and portfolio||10||2|
|Game project 4||30||6|
|2D graphics thesis||50||10|
|Internship in 2D graphics||150||30|